- bulletproof.com: Blog Entry "Apitherapy: The Many Benefits of Bee Products"
Studies show that bee products may help manage autoimmune diseases, cancer, Alzheimer’s, HPV, Lyme Disease, multiple sclerosis and arthritis – bacteria in bee stomachs could even act as alternatives to antibiotics.
- modernfarmer.com: Article "A Possible Bee Replacement: Tiny Drones Covered In Sticky Goop"
A researcher at Japan’s National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology created a drone that could function in a similar way to a bee.
- nature.com: Scientific article "Appetitive floral odours prevent aggression in honeybees"
The study shows that social interactions are necessary to reveal the recruiting function of the alarm pheromone and that specific floral odours have the surprising capacity to inhibit the pheromone.
Bee and beekeping videos
- tagesschau.de: Video "Stadtbienen sind produktiver"
According to a study, the honey yields in the city are higher than those in the countryside.
- ted.com: Video "The first 21 days of a bee's life"
A close-up view into the colony – technically perfect and with a striking clue how to approach the issue of bee health.
- youtube.com: Video "How worker bees guide the queen for mating" (Croatian)
See what happens in a hive when the young queen goes to mate.
- bbc.com: Article "Spread of bee disease 'largely manmade'"
Researchers are calling for stricter controls on importing honeybees such as mandatory health screenings and more checks on movements across borders.
- freethebees.ch: Article "The Darwin cure for apiculture?"
On natural selection and managed honey bee health.
- honeycolony.com: Article "Healing The Soil To Solve The Bee Problem"
The article addresses conventional farming practices as cause for declining biodiversity.
- lafamiliapicola.blogspot.ch: Article "Patological symptoms of bees"
Comprehensive article on bee diseases and parasites (Spanish)
- nature.com: Scientific article "Deformed wing virus can be transmitted during natural mating in honey bees and infect the queens"
Queen failure is reported as a cause for colony loss. During natural mating the queen can be infected by the deformed wing virus.
- sciencedaily.com: Article "Honeybee hive collapse mystery rooted in hive size"
The vulnerability of hives with too few bees as a factor of bee colony decline.
- springer.com: Scientific article "In vitro study of the antimicrobial activity of European propolis against Paenibacillus larvae"
In-vitro study of the antimicrobial activity of European propolis against Paenibacillus larvae, the organism that causes American foulbrood, a fatal honeybee larval disease.
- teca.fao.org: Article "Evaluation of the Distribution and Impacts of Parasites, Pathogens, and Pesticides on Honey Bee (Apis mellifera) Populations in East Africa"
A nationwide survey encompassing 24 locations across Kenya assesses the presence of parasites (Varroa mites and Nosema microsporidia) and viruses, identifies and quantifies pesticide contaminants in hives, and assays for levels of hygienic behaviour
- vita-europe.com: Infographic "Asian Hornets"
Find out more about Asian hornets (Vespa velutina).
- springer.com: Scientific article "Distance between honey bee Apis mellifera colonies regulates populations of Varroa destructor at a landscape scale"
Findings suggest that Varroa populations thrive in near-neighbour bee colonies
Honey and Honey Quality
- teca.fao.org: Annex "Revised codex standard for honey"
Applies to all honeys produced by honey bees and covers all styles of honey presentations which are processed and ultimately intended for direct consumption.
- africanbeekeeping.org: Final Report "Lessons from the field: building from field experience to improve support for beekeeping in Kenya and Uganda"
Field report from East Africa
- teca.fao.org: Publication "The African Honey Magazine"
Browse the online publication to learn about current events in Africa
Native and wild bees
- dailymail.co.uk: Article "'Dancing' hairs lead bumblebees to pollen by sensing electric signals given out by flowers"
Scientists have discovered that static electricity causes the hairs of pollinators to move and that it helps bees find sources of pollen.
- sustainablepulse.com: Article "Wild Bee Decline Threatens US Crop Production – New Mapping Study"
The first-ever study to map U.S. wild bees suggests they are disappearing in the country’s most important farmlands.
- teca.fao.org: Article "Composition of stingless bee honey: setting quality standards"
A honey quality control program directed to both stingless beekeepers and stingless bee honey hunters to promote harmonization of analytical methods.